Thursday, June 30, 2011

mickey and me

Yesterday, David told me that we would be making jams all day today because we had a lot of berries and fruits that needed to be used. However, when I showed up today, all we had left were 12 pounds of blackberries, so we would only be making black berry jam.


I am pretty familiar with the jamming process by now, so I knew that there was a point where we would have to wait for the mixture to reduce for a while and figured that during this waiting period I could slice and fry the shallots for the day.

Apparently, I was getting pretty close to the end of the shallot I was slicing and sliced a piece of my thumb instead. Fortunately, the blade was on a very thin setting, so I didn't slice off much of my thumb. I immediately put some pressure on my thumb and went to get a bandaid. However, I couldn't any bandaids and neither could anyone else. Right as we were about to give up, Judith (one of the women who works in the restaurant's office) walked by and remembered that she saw some bandades and went to get one for me. As luck would have it, they were Mickey Mouse bandaids.

Now, I don't know if these were really good bandaids or if that thumb has gotten used to getting sliced (I had sliced off the tip of the same thumb about 4 years ago), but it did not bleed as much as fingers usually do when they're cut.

After I was properly bandaged, I resumed slicing and frying the shallots. Next it was time to jar and process the blackberry jam. Right as I finished with processing the jam, David returned from lunch and mentioned that he saw Jane Lynch shopping at the Whole Foods where he was getting his lunch.

I realized that we were getting pretty low on breadcrumbs, so I would have to make some more. I processed the pieces of bread and began pressing them through the tammy (drum sieve). After a good hour of pressing shreds of bread through even smaller mesh holes, I decided that I needed to start shaping the pimento cheese fritters for the night.

Shaping the fritters didn't take long, so I got back to making breadcrumbs. Not long after I cam back to making breadcrumbs, Woody asked if I would help him with making potato chips for the bottle shop. I agreed to help and took over frying the chips so that Woody could get some other things done.

There were a lot of chips that needed to be fried, so I was to get nervous about finishing the chips and still having time to bread the pimento cheese fritters before service. Turns out that I would have nowhere near enough time to finish both of the tasks, but there was a new guy that was training today (Chris), so Ryan asked me if I would show him how to bread the pimento cheese fritters because Chef really likes them when I make them.

I was a little bummed because I know that Chef wants the fritters to be perfect and I have gotten pretty good at making them perfect, but Jason wanted me to keep frying chips, so I taught Chris the breading process for the fritters as quickly as I could, and went back to frying potato chips.

Even with my undivided attention on frying potato chips, there still wasn't enough time to finish them before Woody had to leave for the bottle shop. So, Woody took over frying the chips for me and I went to organize the walk-in (something that Gavin asked me to do).

Everything was pretty crazy because I was scrambling to find containers for everything that was just in boxes in the walk-in, Woody was trying to get everything together for the bottle shop, Ryan was trying to train Chris, and everyone else was just getting into service for the evening. I figured that, at that point, it would be best to have one less body in the kitchen and it was already past time for me to leave. So, right when I finished with the walk-in, I bagged and sealed the breadcrumbs that I wasn't able to finish (that I will have to do tomorrow), cleaned my station, and told everyone goodbye for the night.

Tomorrow, I restart the long process of pushing bread through wire mesh along with everything else that I usually have to do for the day.

Till next time,

Ben

211 hours left

No comments:

Post a Comment